Wayfair is committed to providing customers with easy, hassle-free purchases. But how does their return policy work?
If you’re not completely satisfied with your purchase, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund minus return shipping costs. This policy covers items that are damaged or defective upon arrival as well as unwanted and unused items so you’re able to rest easy knowing that your purchase is covered.
As with most return policies, there are plenty of helpful details for you to know that will make your return experience go much easier.
So read on and get informed so you can make sure your upcoming purchase is fully protected.
The Wayfair Return Process
- The Wayfair Return Process
- I’ve Received a Damaged Item From Wayfair: What Should I Do?
- Items That Can’t Be Returned
- How Much Does It Cost to Return Furniture to Wayfair?
- What About Exchanges?
- Wayfair Open Box Return Policy
- Wayfair Return Policy After 30 Days
- Does Wayfair Price Match?
- Tips for Shopping Smarter At Wayfair
- 1. Schedule Purchases During the Holiday Season
- 2. Double Check Your Wayfair Appliances Upon Delivery
- 3. Cancel Any Returns You Change Your Mind On
- 4. Sell Open Box and Clearance Items On Other Platforms
- 5. Make Sure to Read the Reviews Before Making a Purchase
- 6. Skip Personalization
- 7. Return Items In Nearly New Condition
- 8. When In Doubt, Reach Out to Customer Service
- What’s the Wayfair Professional Return Policy?
- Wayfair Return Policy: Final Thoughts
Returning items online with Wayfair is straightforward, and all you need access to is your Wayfair account information and a printer.
- To initiate the return process, select an item of your choice in the My Orders section and select “place a return order”.
- After filing your return request and print out the assigned label. Make sure to attach this printed-out label to your product’s packaging box before sending it back.
- Once you have readied your return shipment, it is time to send it off to the nearest Wayfair warehouse via a nearby drop-off location at UPS, FedEx, or any other carrier that can be arranged by them.
- You can track your return order from the “My Returns” section of your account to ensure it is being processed properly by Wayfair’s team. You can also reach out to their customer service team for help if you don’t see any updates or are in need of assistance.
An important note; while this is a free return, you’re responsible for covering the shipping costs associated with your return.
When you get your credit card refund or exchange for store credit, the shipping amount will automatically be deducted from the refund.
I’ve Received a Damaged Item From Wayfair: What Should I Do?
Unfortunately, sometimes items arrive damaged or defective.
In this event, Wayfair will cover the cost of return shipping and provide a full refund for your purchase.
They may even offer additional options, such as a partial refund if you plan on keeping a slightly damaged item or store credit to be used for a future purchase.
It is essential to keep in mind that you will have to report any damages or defects within 30 days of receiving the product.
To do this, contact Wayfair’s customer service team and provide pictures of the damaged item(s) as evidence. Once they receive your request, they will respond with further instructions.
Items That Can’t Be Returned
Although the Wayfair return policy applies to most items in the inventory, there are a few exceptions:
- Clearance items or products sold at discounted rates
- Items marked as open box items
- Gift cards
- Personalized items
- Items that are purchased as an entire bundle can’t be returned individually
- Products explicitly labeled as “Non-Returnable” on the sale page
- Living Plants
Because of these restrictions, make sure that you’re absolutely sure that your purchase is something you’re happy with before checking out.
What Refund Method Is Offered?
Your refund amount will be returned in one of two ways:
1. The Original Payment Method:
When refunding items to the original payment method, you can choose to receive a refund through debit, credit card, or cash.
Expect to see it reflected back in your account within 5-14 days of your return arriving at the warehouse.
2. As Store Credit:
Store credit can be applied to or towards future purchases.
You’ll never have to worry about losing it, as the store credit will stay in your account until you decide to use it.
The credit will be available within one day of the company receiving your return.
No matter which option you choose, you’ll receive an email notification once your refund has been processed.
How Much Does It Cost to Return Furniture to Wayfair?
Return shipping costs for Wayfair furniture depend on the size and weight of the item.
The method and carrier that you select for your return will also affect the price of the return.
However, if you’re returning items purchased for $35 or less, shipping charges are $4.99 for each one.
The final amount for the return will be revealed when you request your shipping label and refund method.
You’ll then be refunded for the furniture item minus return shipping costs on the original payment method.
Keep in mind that you’ll need to unassemble and package the furniture into its original packaging for return shipping.
While this may be a pain, it ensures that the item will be accepted when it arrives at the Wayfair facility.
What About Exchanges?
Should you find yourself dissatisfied with the size, color, or aesthetic of the product itself, an exchange can be easily requested and completed.
You have two options for exchanging items with Wayfair:
- Before returning the product: You don’t have to wait until your current item has made its way back to the Wayfair warehouse. You can go ahead and purchase your “exchange” item and your account will be credited with no delay after they receive the returned item.
- After the product has been returned: Follow the same refund method as you would for an item return if you’re going to exchange a product.
Wayfair Open Box Return Policy
Open-box items are not eligible for the Wayfair return policy since they are already pre-owned products.
Wayfair open-box items are products that have been returned by customers and are then resold.
These products may be slightly used and/or may have light cosmetic damage, but the functionality of the product remains unchanged.
The open box items are thoroughly inspected for any kind of faults, and if found, they are professionally repaired or replaced before being resold.
Wayfair Return Policy After 30 Days
All items are subject to a flat 30-day return policy.
One exception is the Wayfair mattress return policy which offers a 100-night sleep trial. However, you’ll still need to pay the associated return shipping costs.
There’s also an extended holiday return policy for you to take advantage of.
For any items bought between the dates of November 1 and December 31, you now have until January 31st to return them.
Previously, there was a Wayfair wedding registry that had a generous 90-day return policy. However, this registry is no longer available as of December 22, 2022.
The company states that they are working on improving the wedding registry program.
So this return policy may return down the line when the program is opened and offers wedding registry gifts once more.
Does Wayfair Price Match?
Wayfair does not offer any form of price matching on its website.
Several customers have reported that they received a price match at any of their affiliated stores, including Perigold, Birch Lane, Allmodern, and Joss & Main.
Many sister shops stock the same items that are available on Wayfair.com, so if you come across a lower price elsewhere, it’s absolutely worth finding out whether Wayfair will match it!
Tips for Shopping Smarter At Wayfair
Here are some tips and tricks for making the purchasing and returning process much smoother at Wayfair as well as a tip for extending the Wayfair return policy window:
1. Schedule Purchases During the Holiday Season
If you know that you may want to return an item, it’s best to purchase it during or before the holiday season.
This way, you’ll have a few extra weeks to return the item if needed.
Starting on November 1st, you’ll be able to return items until January 31st.
This extended window could give you more time to try out and make sure you like an item before making the final decision to keep it.
2. Double Check Your Wayfair Appliances Upon Delivery
Wayfair’s large appliances can be tricky to return since they can only be accepted if they haven’t been installed and are in their original packaging.
So if someone is coming to deliver and install an appliance, make sure to inspect it to check its condition and whether the product works as expected.
If you see any damaged or defective items, refuse the shipment and contact Wayfair immediately.
3. Cancel Any Returns You Change Your Mind On
If you have already completed a return form and wish to cancel the process, simply visit your My Orders page and follow its instructions.
However, bear in mind that once you place the item in the mail, canceling its return is not an option.
4. Sell Open Box and Clearance Items On Other Platforms
Since Wayfair doesn’t accept returns of open-box or clearance items, you can make money by reselling them on eBay or apps such as OfferUp.
You likely won’t get the full purchase price back, but you may be able to make a decent profit and prevent the item from going into the landfill.
5. Make Sure to Read the Reviews Before Making a Purchase
Consumer reviews are invaluable when it comes to understanding how products actually perform and what customers think of them in practice.
Reading through positive and negative reviews will give you a better idea of how an item might work for you before committing to the purchase.
6. Skip Personalization
Certain Wayfair items, such as custom-printed textiles or engravings, are available with personalisation options.
These items are not eligible for return once they have been personalized and shipped, so make sure it’s something you’re absolutely sure of before taking the plunge!
7. Return Items In Nearly New Condition
Wayfair’s return policy is known for being fairly strict, so it’s a good idea to package your return as nicely as possible to guarantee your card or store credit refund.
Make sure that the items are clean and that as much as the original package is included as possible.
Any other items delivered, such as manuals or accessories, should also be included in the return package.
8. When In Doubt, Reach Out to Customer Service
If you have any questions about Wayfair’s return policy, contact their customer service team.
They’ll be able to provide more detailed information and help guide you through the process.
And they may even be able to make an exception if you explain your situation.
For assistance at any hour, contact the team at 877-929-3247 – they’re available 24/7. If you’d like to avoid calling during a peak time period for them, try calling at 8:30am CST.
What’s the Wayfair Professional Return Policy?
The Wayfair Professional return policy is the same as the general return policy.
However, you’ll get access to the Wayfair support team which will help guide you through the return process and any other processing or shipping issues.
Additionally, all shipping costs over $35 for business orders are free, so if you need to make a return, you can at least avoid paying for shipping when you order items.
Just be sure to check the policy before making your purchase to make sure you’re up to date on the details.
Some additional benefits of the Wayfair professional program include:
- Pro Pricing: This feature provides access to commercial product discounts that general users can’t access on the website. These limited-time sales can help save you up to 30% on select products.
- Complimentary Design Proposal Services: If you’re having trouble picking out the perfect items for a space, Wayfair has a team of professional designers that can help you create the perfect look. They also help budget the project for you.
- A Dedicated Account Manager: A personal account manager is available to answer questions and provide support with orders. They can contact manufacturers on your behalf, help you find new products, and more.
While the return policy doesn’t offer any special benefits, it’s still worth considering if you’re ordering items in bulk or need help with space design.
With the extra perks, it can be a great option for any business buyer.
Wayfair Return Policy: Final Thoughts
Knowing all the details of a return policy can be tedious, but it’s important to make sure you’re informed before making a purchase.
By understanding Wayfair’s return policy, you can rest assured that your purchases are covered in case something goes wrong or if you simply change your mind.
This way you can ensure that you have a hassle-free shopping experience and only hold onto the items you need.